Senior Software Engineer
PayIt is a fast-growing GovTech company built to improve the ways that state and local government agencies interact and transact with their customers. Our modern solutions make it easy for agencies to become more efficient in their operations and achieve their missions.
PayIt consolidates software and payments into a connected customer experience experience and enables our clients to drive trust and satisfaction among their customers. PayIt solutions address state/provincial and local use cases, serving tax authorities, courts, motor vehicle departments, and conservation agencies. This innovative approach to government service delivery has garnered significant recognition in both the public and private sectors, including our inclusion in the GovTech 100 every year since 2017.
Our culture welcomes people who exhibit what we call “PayIt DNA”: High integrity, drive, grit, high aptitude, and team orientation. We are collaborative and passionate about the work we do to improve the lives of our government clients and the end users they serve. We have ambitious scaling goals, and we look for team members who are ready to roll up their sleeves, solve problems, and find new opportunities to win with our clients. And we have a lot of fun together.
About the Senior Engineer Opportunity:
Senior Software Engineers at PayIt are smart, mission-driven, and afforded a high degree of responsibility and autonomy. We hold ourselves to high standards, always looking to improve our skills, our platform, and our offering to our clients. We are driven by the fact that we’re building a meaningful product and solving exciting technical challenges that impact the lives of everyday people like you and me.
PayIt’s Maintenance team plays a critical role in ensuring that end-users are always able to transact successfully with the platform. The Maintenance Senior Software Engineer will be a leader on the team in terms of technical expertise, issue identification and resolution, and mentorship.
This candidate is ideally based out of Kansas City or Nashville, however, highly qualified candidates will also be considered in the following markets (NC, TX, MO, KS, GA, VA, PA, UT, FL, TN, MI, IL, and OH).
Essential Job Functions:
- Triage and resolve production issues with careful assessment of impact on infrastructure or service operations.
- Design and execute resilient solutions to complex problems.
- Communicate development design decisions to technical and non-technical team members.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to engineers within the engineering organization.
- Review code developed by other engineers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
- Provide technical ownership for a number of features maintained by the team.
- Work closely with management and stakeholders to define technical roadmaps.
- Drive improvement in the design and quality of our platform.
What You’ll Need for this Role (job requirements):
- 5+ years experience working on distributed software systems while providing technical leadership to teams
- Strong understanding of best practices and industry standards for performance, encryption, security, scalability, and availability in distributed systems.
- Experience architecting and developing solutions to challenging technical problems.
- Interest in determining and applying appropriate technical designs to solve user needs.
- Familiarity with the technologies, trade-offs, and design patterns emerging in web-services based technologies.
- Experience with asynchronous programming patterns.
- Experience with NoSQL and relational databases and schema design.
- Interest in innovating within the global payments industry.
- Commitment to iterative development.
- Experience working with containers, orchestration tools, AWS, and asynchronous services within AWS.
- Rigor in automated testing, code quality, and engineering best practices.
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with financial, accounting or payments systems.
- Experience working with large and complex datasets and/or other distributed data processing systems.
- Familiarity with GraphQL.
- Experience building reliable systems that handle large transactional volume.
Why Work For Us:
- Our mission matters. Your work will make life better for our government agency clients and the millions of residents they serve.
- You’ll do some of the best work of your career here. We tackle complex challenges that are interesting to solve, and you’ll grow a ton working at PayIt
- People are our most important resource. Everyone has a voice. Collaboration is our default setting. And we have fun together.
- We #payitforward with our corporate volunteer program, serving the communities where we work and live.
- Competitive salaries, excellent benefits, flexible working arrangements, and all the resources you will need to do your best work.
What We Care About:
We hire high aptitude, high integrity people who are great communicators and want to be part of a growing team.
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
PayIt is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law.
PayIt is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an email to the People Operations Team and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
NOTE: U.S. Citizens and all those authorized to work for any employer in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to provide sponsorship in the United States at this time. Canadian Citizens and those authorized to work in Canada without sponsorship are also encouraged to apply.
To all recruitment agencies: PayIt does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers’ alias, PayIt employees or any other company location. PayIt is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Within the parameters of this position, ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability, and exercise due care of, company, client, and citizen data that is stored, processed, and transmitted by and for PayIt, as outlined in PayIt’s Business Code of Conduct and Information Security Policies.